Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games (twice viewed :p)

*****SPOILER ALERT*****


So I was lucky enough to be invited to a secret preview screening on the 21st! My mates won some tickets and, knowing my intimate love for the book series, invited me to use one of their coveted prizes :). It was quite an experience really - they take your phones and bag them up and scan you to make sure you don't take any video recording devices in!

So, onto the review. My final score (drumroll please!);


The movie was pretty accurate to the book, which I give it huge props for. The only thing that bothered me about the deviation was where Katniss obtained the mockingjay pin. In the movie it shows her purchasing it from Greasy Sae (who ends up giving it to her) whereas in the book, one of the 'rich kids' that she's friendly with gives it to her in a moment of solidarity. I thought that this was a special moment in the book and was a smidge sad to see it removed for the movie.

Liam Hemsworth did a fantastic job of portraying Gale, he captured the attitude of Gale and I thought he did a great job. Josh Hutcherson as Peeta? Not so much. It wasn't until the cave scene that I thought that Peeta really was Peeta from the book, it just took too long for him to seem like himself - he lacked... I don't know, personality? Until then... just too wishy washy for my tastes. Jennifer Lawrence did a great job as Katniss, however in several scenes throughout the film I felt that she wasn't representing the Katniss in the books. The character in the show didn't have that complexity that the Katniss from the books did. Her conflicting emotions about Gale & Peeta, her love for Prim, I mean it was evident, it was there, but it wasn't the rich person that we got to know in the books.

Overall the film was a joy to watch, the character of Rue - played by Amandla Stenberg - was my favourite character. She was fun, innocent and deeply likeable. The scene of her death was the hardest to watch of the entire film.The best scene, hands down, was towards the grand finale when the gamemakers release the muttations into the arena. When Katniss & Peeta are making their way upto the cornucopia and the first one jumps out of the bushes at them - the WHOLE cinema jumped. The second time I watched it, I knew it was coming and so watched everyone else - HILARIOUS! I highly recommend going just for this experience :p

Also a real highlight - the costumes! I was concerned that the film might not actually follow through with the whole 'girl on fire' and just have a sparkly jewelled dress as it's described in the book. So glad they ACTUALLY included fire. Definitely a highlight of the film to see this. I also thoroughly enjoyed the character of Caesar Flickerman... when he turned his head and smiled for his introduction I laughed out loud every time - great actor and a great character!

All in all a great film that just lacked some character depth for me. Hope you all enjoy it! Have you done a review? Leave a comment! I'd love to read it!

7 comments:

  1. Check out my review. I liked it too, though how they dumbed down the action bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I forgot to mention that all the actions scene were just blurs... couldn't actually watch any good fights :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Good to know when I'm going to jump out of my seat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man the way your stars look are so cool! I quite enjoyed her flame dress when she twirled, but sadly not the first one on the chariot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, the original costume I thought would be CONSUMED by fire, not just the little bit coming off her shoulders. The dress was cool, the twirling to make the fire work :p

      Delete
  5. I'm with you 100% on the changes of the pin's backstory. I get that it probably didn't make sense from a moviemaking point of view to introduce another character so briefly, and it may have helped strengthened the audience's relationship with Prim, but I was sort of disappointed and I agree that it changed the significance.

    I don't care how many times I see the movie - I think I'll always jump at the first muttation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I jumped the second time too! I just got to see everybody else jump! Was fantastic.

      The pin definitely had more meaning behind it in the novel, but I guess that's just one of the sacrifices you have to make for cinema *sigh*.

      Delete